I love pumpkin with pretty much everything (or on it’s own)…. pumpkin & Pedro Ximenez sherry pie, pumpkin & chocolate cake, fetta & pumpkin pizza, pumpkin risotto, pumpkin fritters…I even fused my two favourite desserts: pumpkin pie and brownies!
These cupcakes were spice pumpkin with a caramel buttercream frosting and they were so yummy, I have to give you the recipe! Perfect for autumn… however I must say that the icing may have been a bit too rich (yes, that’s how I roll hehe) so maybe next time I’ll try cinnamon glace or light cream cheese to soften it…
Recipe (12 cupcakes)
- 260gr (2 cups) self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 330gr (1 1/2 cups) packed light-brown sugar
- 200gr of unsalted butter room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 a kent pumpkin (boiled and mashed, I prefer it to the canned puree but this is fine too, just use 1 can)
- 1/4 cup of sherry, I use Pedro Ximenez sherry from Spain ;D
For the frosting:
- 150gr of softened butter (or margarine)
- 220gr of caramel ice cream topping
- 260gr (2 cups) of powdered sugar
- Preheat over to 180 degrees (celsius) and prepare your cupcake pan with liners.
- Mix all dry ingredients except eggs, sugar, pumpkin puree and butter in a mixer.
- Separately, whisk eggs, butter and sugar until smooth and creamy, then mix the pumpkin puree.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ones and mix till combined.
- Fill the cupcake liners to about 3/4 and bake for 20-25 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean when inserted in the middle.
- For the frosting, mix all ingredients together and wait till the cupcakes are cold to pipe it on top.